28 April 2010

We made it... to one corner of Lanka?!

that is how I felt.. considering the staggering distance we traveled today. If I compare the 2 trips of Tantirimale *in last year* and our latest, I think the latter was much more tiring and probably even longer than the former.. is also how I felt.

Nevertheless it was a splendid trip my family had with my relatives from mom's side.. where only 1 cousin was free to attend as my other cousins were all too busy to join.. like last time. -__- Still it was fun having my jovial lil cousin sis around.. and even more jovial and young-at-heart aunts and uncs around. hehe..

Did I say where we went?

It was to see the stupa of Somawathiya that is as sacred as our own Maligawa in Kandy that I've been talking about more regularly. Somawathiya is where the right tooth relic of our Lord Buddha is enshrined.. while Dalada Maligawa claims to have the left tooth relic.

We were also planning to visit one of Lanka's best World Heritage Sites known as Polonnaruwa Gal Viharaya.. which is also a major tourist attraction.

But due to spur of the moment our trip's organizer, my punchi (mom's youngest sis) suddenly declared,
"Haven't we all seen Gal Vihare so many times, so how about Medirigiriya Watadage for a change?" and she said that while we were returning from Somawathiya on our way to Polonnaruwa. O__O

So off we went to see the watadage.. totally unplanned! *had to ask for directions umpteen times* -__-

Medirigiriya Watadage is no ordinary place either cause it is the best among all Lankan watadages (Stupa houses) that flaunts the most finest stone carvings.

En route we passed 2 nature reserves (Somawathiya and Minneriya) and 1 spooky jungle (Habarana = safari hub)! I was straining my neck to see some wildlife around and well.. I did have some weird, unexpected and wonderful encounters en route.. that I would talk about.. with spicy pics and tales I've stacked on my cam and my head, one by one, eventually.

So.. for now.. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... zee ya laterzzzzz!

11 comments:

  1. pictures pls... hahaha... well i wanna go visit sri lanka one day!! only transit at the airport last year when i flew to germany =p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha... more pictures and stories after the zzzZZZZZZ.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a fun family trip like this that inspired me to begin my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a super trip! I have not gone to Somawathi yet but would love to go there. I have seen Medirigiriya but long time back.

    Waiting for the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely! I've been there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.. thanks everyone! *sowwie I couldn't reply early thanks to the lousy weather here* -__-

    @ Fufu: Sure, sure. =D Yep, you definitely should. oh I did see your Lankan pics last time.. and they were really nice, esp. those ornamental elephants. It's an honor to have a famous globe trotter visiting Lanka. ^__^

    @ Rain: Yep, for sure. lol

    @ Ratty: Really? That's so wonderful cuz your blog's gone such a long way now. And same here, as mine was started after our Tantirimale trip last August. =D

    @ K: Yep, it was. Really? That's nice. Go there on a public holiday so there'll be lots of people. The routes are usually deserted otherwise.

    And sure.. will post them after sorting out.

    @ Dee: Wow.. that's great! ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an exciting trip Harumi! I think I must've been about 7 or 8 when I visited Medirigiriya, so would be glad to see photos! :D I visited Somawathie twice during the CFA days... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sure was. ^__^

    Really? That's nice. It's such a tough route and a long detour so most people don't consider visiting.

    Sure, sure, still sorting them out. =D I'm having a big issue of less comp time.. thanks to thunder showers and power cuts. -__- But will post them asap. =D

    That's great! by the way CFA means Chartered Financial Analyst? or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cease Fire Agreement. It was a bit hard to visit areas like Somawathie during the war... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohhh! geez.. wasn't that such a cliched term those days? and I've completely forgotten it by now. -__-

    Ya, that's true. The temple and the surrounding nature reserve are strictly guarded even now. But that's good I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...