03 April 2010

Seasonal Transformation

Remember I used to talk about a paddy field near our place in my old blog (Slice of life in the paradise isle)? I think I used to call it something like 'Lil patch of paradise..' *or was it something else?* -__-

Anyway here's a bunch of pics of the same paddy field during different seasons.. taken from late October 2009 to mid March 2010.


* CTRL+ Click on the images to expand them

October 2009

See a lot of white specks towards the top of the pic? These were the Black headed Ibis and Cattle Egrets who used to frequent and forage in the paddy field in big throngs. The largest flock of big Ibis I counted once was around 20 - 30. Haven't seen them in ages.

October 2009



December 2009

Filled to the brim with chocolaty mud.

December 2009

See the bare boughs of this tree? Would you believe this is the very 'Tree of Life' that was full of foliage that I used to talk so frequently about. Well it was the CEB folks who came and chopped off its branches cause we were having frequent power cuts those days. I miss the green of greenery but now I get to see a lot more blue of sky blue thanks to that.

*In case you wondered why this pic and the above one are resized, it wasn't me but my phone who did it, when I tried to move it from one folder to another.* o__O


January 2010


Emerald green carpet and a bunch of Cattle egrets.

February 2010

I really like this unusual cloud pattern. Will add a more clear capture of these clouds later along with my exclusive cloud gallery.


March 2010

Not sure if the paddy turned into these tones due to a good harvest or due to dehydration as there were no rains for months.

This is probably one of the hottest summer seasons we're experiencing here. Sometime back the temperature here went up to 33C reminiscing the Anuradhapura and Trincomalee climates. -__- Now the average temp. is always around 30C, when it's supposed to be hanging around 25C. *I need to double check if I'm living in the mild hill country or somewhere in the northern dry zone* o__O

We did have some heavy thunder showers, but only for a handful of days. It rained at the wrong time too, just when the farmers were getting ready to collect their harvest. Some were lucky enough to beat the rain, but the others ended up with sacks full of drenched paddy. Luckily it doesn't rain anymore so they can at least dry them up with the blessings of the scorching sun.

9 comments:

  1. Love the pictures Harumi, especially the December one... Too bad the phone had to resize it, the colours of the sky are just wonderful on it! :)

    I know what you mean about the heat and the lack of rain... I am in Kandy right now and I can swear that it rains more and things are cooler down in Colombo, which is really strange... Hope for more rain and a cool down! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not have a window that shows me such a grand view on a paddy field, but it is good by then I need to move around in order to witness this beauty in my neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Chavie: Thanks a lot. Ya, we used to get a stunning sky blue most of the time, but now it gets a bit more cloudy though no rains.

    Really? Seems like the whole weather pattern has gotten swapped. hehe..

    @ Rain: Thanks for dropping by Rain. By the way only the December pic was taken from my room's window. All the rest were taken from outside.. or else I won't get a broad view of it.

    But you know I so envy you and all the hiking bloggers who get to hike so regularly and discover so many wonderful aspects of nature. ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  4. A paddy field is a treat for me to see because we don't have that kind of thing here. I don't really know why. We have a lot of water, but maybe it's too cold here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ratty. oh That's too bad.

    And yep, paddy fields are thriving in our dry zone areas as well, despite having lack of rains. They have so many extensive tanks and networks of canals to supply water though. So perhaps paddy fields prefer warm tropical climates. =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely way to show Sri Lankan seasons! My favourite is October.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks K. Really? Oct was the best season for the foraging birdies too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. January is lovely. You are very observant H! lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks a lot Dee. hehe.. Observing nature is one of my habits.. ^__^

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...