05 August 2009

Skyline and the landscape

I added a new slideshow to the blog, featuring some of the pics I took.. that I can't wait to share. =D Till then, enjoy their thumbnails.

...

Araliya at Tantirimale Temple


As you may have already guessed, this one has exclusively become my profile pic. =D Reason is simple, cause it's one of my most favorite pics, out of all the ones snapped by me. *that didn't explain anything, I know* =D

By the way notice the direction of its foliage.. defying the laws of gravity they seem to be drawn towards the right side, isn't it? This is a classic example of the gale-like-wind we experienced at the summit and throughout Tantirimale. For any featherweight person hoping to visit Tantirimale, I do recommend he or she to carry a 20-30 kg heavy backpack for support. *seriously, ask anyone who's experienced the winds out in here and they'd tell the same!*


The left pic shows how the tree should normally appear in line with the laws of gravity. *meaning between the bouts of gale* The right side tree is a different one.

I forgot to mention, Araliya is also called Frangipani or Temple Flowers, and I found the above two trees flanking the Tantirimale Stupa.


See a portion of the stupa weaving the skyline together with the distant Araliya tree. *more pics of stupa will be up eventually*

Tantirimale's landscape is a fascinating one, where one finds himself lost in a terrain of rocky outcrop spanning hundreds of acres as far as the eyes can see.


The white structure in the distant of the first pic is the bell tower I think, sitting few meters away from Tantirimale Bodhi Tree, which rests on the summit of the very rocky terrain. The second pic is slightly tilted *probably I was standing on a slope when I took it!* and the thin indigo line in between the heavens and the earth is the horizon. My mom said it could even be the Indian Ocean! *wish there was a copter at hand to verify*

...

PS: I had to intensify the brightness of the last couple of pics a lot, as they looked really gloomy. So please don't mind the unusual glare of the sky.. just this time. =D

10 comments:

  1. Excellent Sky watch images! Good observations on leaves too. Usually on top of a rocky outcrop in the dry zone, we get very strong winds. BTW Thanthirimale landscape looks very impressive to me..

    The first image would have been even better if not for the lamp post.

    My favourite is No . 4 - i thought that is fantastic.

    i lyk no 2 too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks K! The sky was indeed breathtaking and I wish I could've snapped every inch of it. But the pilgrims around me gave weird looks whenever I pointed the cam away from people and towards the sky, trees or the rocky scape so.. um.. I had to settle for few dozen shots. lol

    Ya.. maybe that's why. And true, Tantirimale is a great place for hiking too.

    Oh the lamp post.. I didn't even notice it! =D Ya.. the place is packed with beautiful scenery. I only captured a handful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love wind-swept trees! :) and Thanthirimale is a beautiful place to visit, when we went once there was a pet Deer at the monastery! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8/06/2009

    Your pictures look really good in quality, can't believe it was taken with a camera phone. Beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments Chavie and MTC!

    @ Chavie: Off topic, got your comp fixed? =D

    Back to topic, really? I like the wind too but the one we experienced here was totally scary, thought both me and the cam will get hurled into space like Dorothy and Toto and end up in the Land of Oz! lol

    A deer? O__O Not fair ne! there were none when we visited.. um then again we didn't visit the monastery, only visited the Bo tree, Stupa and shrine hall. BTW didn't you take any pics of that deer? =D

    @ MTC: Ya, even I'm surprised. Slight issues with subtle tones and not having zooming and flash are the only drawbacks. But glad I ended up buying this phone by fluke. =D Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Harumi: I think I have one... will post it! :) but I don't think you would've missed the monastery coz that's near where the entrance/car park is... :)

    and lol at the Oz reference! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really? Then the new buildings we saw wasn't the monastery. It was our first time there so we simply followed punchi (mom's youngest sis). =D

    hehe.. but that's exactly what I felt. =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS: Thanks Chavie.. can't waitta see the pic. =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice pics! I really like number 4..:D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks LD.. Yep, it's one of my favorites too. ^__^

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...