02 August 2009

Intro

I couldn't wait to open my own photo blog after being inspired by all the nature explorers on blogger, especially after I bagged tons of pics from the long trip we had yesterday (1st of August). It was a pilgrimage with my mom's relatives to Tantirimale, Elayapattuwa and Anuradhapura temples and historical sites. *these 3 locations can be found on this map here. A detailed map of Sri Lanka can be found here*

We took the route,
Matale - Dambulla - Kekirawa - Maradankadawala - Anuradhapura - Elayapattuwa - Oyamaduwa - Tantirimale.

Some photos didn't come right as the van was zooming past them so it was hard to focus and capture.

The first set of pics will include the things we saw in between these destinations. Most of these capture the cloud patterns, paddy fields, lakes and so on.

...

* control + click the pics to zoom in (expand)


Serene lakes - overfilled or dried


Saw some birdies of the shape and color of cattle egrets here. The lake's been dried up leaving small ponds and puddles and so the birdies seem to be hunting for its last survivors.


The distant chedi / stupa is Ruwanweliseya, one of the most prominent and revered historical stupas in Sri Lanka. The land towards the bottom of the pic is a lake bed, revealed due to lack of rains. *you'll see some close-ups of this stupa in my future posts*


Waves are a common site in certain lakes of Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa, probably due to the strong winds here. This is no ordinary wind as it has the potential of a gale that could sweep you off your feet! And we experienced just that kind of classic strong wind at both Tantirimale and around Ruwanweliseya Stupa.


As you can see they are water lilies fringing the borders of the lake and they covered a large area here. Not sure of their type though. *with the speed it was tough to identify them or get a clear capture*

...

Fluffy clouds and the azure Sky


The clouds were like a large flock of sheep and I think according to this chart here they might be the Stratocumulus clouds. Not sure why the landscape turned out that dim but probably due to my constant tweaking with the settings. *should let the cam handle its own settings and just snap pics hereafter!* =D


Without knowing I've gotten a lens flare at the right hand top edge. The clouds here were like the silky smoke puffing out of incense sticks. They might be the Cirrus Clouds.


Like a white dragon puffing out smoke the clouds seem to diverge from the glowing patch in the center, which is none other than the mighty sun, trying to hide behind those fluffy clouds.

....

Lush Paddy fields - the symbol of prosperity




The green hues of these paddy fields were stunning. The views of them stretched for acres. But sadly in between there were a lot of uncultivated zones due to lack of water, and these were far more bigger than all the lush paddy fields put together.

Some of the houses in the dry zone had large pots built in cement to collect rainwater flowing off the gutters. These were almost tall as their thatched roofs. Unfortunately I was only able to capture just one shot of this huge rainwater collector after so many attempts, but even that single pic is now gone.. since I've deleted it without realizing when I had to downsize the photo collection! -__-

...

Golden savanna and dry zone trees


These blond tall grasses were brimming in this area, dancing in the winds and weaving a golden plush carpet.


The trees here were towering, with less foliage and more twigs. They might be trying to absorb more moisture this way, just like the cactus of the desert.

...

Forgotten ruins of a glorious era


We saw these ruins by the roadside. There are many solitary ruins like these scattered on the way. But no one seem to notice them, since they are not placed near the heritage zones.

...

This is all for now. Got to sort out the rest leisurely and post them as and when I get a break.

Any tips, tricks, suggestions on photography and related subjects are most welcome. ^__^

13 comments:

  1. Excellent narrative! Thanks for the photos too.I have never been to Thanthirimale and by looking through your photos it reminds me what i have been missing. Looks very impressive..!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW Im glad you started this foto blog and....
    ... what a start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8/03/2009

    This is so exciting Harumi...what an excellent idea! Me..i'm a bit clueless on photography ...however... my hubs knows a thing or 2 so I will get you some pointer's from him.

    The picture of the ruins is what intrigues me the most. I can't believe such places are just tucked away on the way side like its 'no big deal'... it fascinates me to think of how 100's of years ago, people just like us thrived in these locations... just living their everday lives. Also makes me wonder what we will leave behind for our generations to come ?! (worried)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep, like Kirigalpoththa said, what a start!!! :D I hope you keep on uploading pics and writing your excellent narratives... :)

    hoping to see more pics soon Harumi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Loving the new photography blog. =D.
    Looking forward for more of it.
    Keep up the good work girlie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ K: Thanks so much for the comments, complements and the cool links too! Not sure if I could join them just yet but I've bookmarked them all.

    Oh really? I thought you have. It's definitely worth a visit for a hiker or trekker or any nature enthusiast. Will explain more about the place with pics. =D

    And thanks again. I too am glad for starting it.. thanks to all your wonderful blogs! =D

    @ MTC: Aww.. that's alright cuz.. I'm just as clueless as you are! lol I just couldn't resist taking snaps whenever I saw something unusual or attractive, whether it was on sky or land. =D Really? Thanks heaps!

    Ya.. true.. I felt the same. Lanka's history is just so rich.. and we can't even compare it to the contemporary one. But don't worry.. I'm sure we could become such a thriving nation once again in future, with no debts to any country whatsoever. =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pics are beautiful. Post them a bigger please ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I mean a bit bigger please...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Su, I made them thumbnails considering the loading time of the page. You just have to click each pic to see them in their original size = 1298 x 960 px! =D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice pics :)

    check this site, it has tips & tricks :)

    http://www.photographytips.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. GG and Chavie, I'm so sowie! I almost missed your comments.. -__- *gotta get my my eyesight checked* lol

    @ Chavie: Thanks so much.. I'll try my best to live up to your standard = 'excellent'.. =D Ya.. there's tons of pics. Need to sort them out first and then fine tune before posting. =D

    @ GG: Aww.. thanks a lot! And sure. ^__^

    @ Azrael: Thanks heaps for the link. It looks like a great site. Will surely check it out leisurely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats once again on your photo blog! I am very impressed by your pictures. I have read about Tantirimale but have not been there yet. It looks a good explace for cultural and nature exploration. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks a lot G and you're welcome! I just kept snapping without thinking much, as there were too many stunning sights and scenery in the dry zone. =D

    Really? Yep, it's a great place for exploring. We saw plenty of birds of different species en route. Elayapattuwa in particular is a lil paradise for Sunbirds, as almost every tree in the premises was infested with their nests.

    Yep.. and Tantirimale has a religious importance too, as the legend says Arhant Sangamitta paused to rest at Tantirimale before proceeding to A'pura. And the Bo tree at Tantirimale temple is one of the 'Ashtapala Bo saplings', the very first eight saplings sprung from the sacred Bo tree at Sri Maha Bodhi.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...