11 August 2009

Lankan Artistry and Craftsmanship - Tantirimale

Here's some of the excellent artistic works of our skilled artisans, I managed to capture at Tantirimale temple.

...
* Click on images to expand them



rear view of the welcoming 'thorana' (pandal)
and a monument at the entrance

I know this pic isn't a good one. The car park was within the premises so this was all I could capture. I can't recall its front view, but from the pic it seems that even the rear view of this pandal wasn't all that bad. Especially cause its motifs look very neat and elaborate.

I also have a vague memory of this white washed monument as I didn't see it up close. The pots on the platform are called 'punkalas', literally means a pot filled to the brim with water. It is a symbol of prosperity and abundance in our culture.

...


lateral view of the bell tower

I simply guessed it has to be the bell tower cause its positioning was at the summit of the extensive rocky terrain and a few meters away and below the Bodhi tree. And it looks like I've also captured a distant transmission tower without realizing. The two towers display a fine contrast between two eras, ancient and modern.

...



external 'Makara Thorana' (dragon pandal?)
at the entrance of Shrine Hall


The golden sculpture in the niche of its top depicts the advent of Arhant Sangamitta who brought a sapling of sacred Bodhi tree from Bodh Gaya in India. According to the scriptures and folklore here, the Bo tree near the bell tower of Tantirimale temple, is said to be a sapling sprung from the afore mentioned sacred Bodhi sapling.

About 8 of them sprung and they're planted in various locations in Lanka, collectively known by the name 'Ashta pala ruha' (eight saplings). More about Tantirimale's Bo tree and temple can be read here.

...


portion of the Sandakada Pahana or Moonstone
at the foot of the stairway of the Shrine Hall


They are at the foot of a stairway of almost all Buddhist temples in Sri Lanka. Its artistic value lies in the ornate relief carvings packed in each concentric semi-circle. The ruddy patches in between the relief are actually sand and dust. So apart from its symbolic implications, I wonder if they were first built as stone mats, to naturally wipe the feet of devotees, before they enter a sacred premises.

I'll be quoting Kirigalpoththa's comment that well explains the motive behind the moonstone,

"According to one belief Moonstone depicts water (Exactly the mythical lake of Anotatta)

Lotus/water plants and swans all mean water,
4 animals symbolizes the four channels open out of the lake in the four directions.

So it means washing your feet before entering the temple"
...



internal 'Makara Thorana'
just outside the Shrine Hall


The polished wooden carving below and the white washed dragon above adds a fine contrast to the interior entrance of the Shrine Hall. I wish I had enough time to capture the rest of the thorana as well. But before I could do so, our crew already left me behind! So had to keep up with them. =D

...


some of the murals adorning the Shrine Halls' interior walls

I think the angle of my shots slightly downgraded the picture quality as these paintings were set at a very high level from the ground. Most of these murals depict stories of Buddha's life and the advent of the sacred Bo sapling. The 2nd (middle) pic has a classic 'pun kalasa' at the bottom, carved off wood and it sits above the door frame.

Outside these walls on either sides of the Shrine Hall were two dozen unfinished Buddha statues, sculpted on the spot. *I think they were two dozens, since that's the usual number of statues they sculpt to symbolize the 'Suvisi Budun' (twenty four Buddhas, predecessors of our Lord Gautama Buddha)

...


ceiling murals of the Shrine Hall

I nearly sprained my neck trying to admire all the gorgeous motifs spanning across this ceiling. Every inch of the ceiling was packed with stunning and vibrant patterns. And I wanted to take many more pics but malli (cousin brother) warned me that I was making too much noise and disturbing the devotees!

Cause my cam gave a shutter sound out everytime I clicked, and I didn't know how to turn down its volume! -__-

9 comments:

  1. Pic #2 is my favourite!

    The moonstone - is it an ancient one or a recent one?

    According to one belief Moonstone depicts water (Exactly the mythical lake of Anotatta)

    Lotus/water plants and swans all mean water,
    4 animals symbolizes the four channels open out of the lake in the four directions.

    So it means washing your feet before entering the temple :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the last time we visited they were still paining the shrine room... it looks very nicely done now... :)

    and I really like your pic of the belltower Harumi! there's something about the sky in the dry zone... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ K: Really? That bell tower was a massive one.. and I wish I could've captured its frontal view but right before the bell tower was a steep cliff, so this was the best I could capture.

    The moonstone, I've no idea if it's new or old but I'm sure Chavie might know, as he's visited there in 2004.

    And wow.. that's a lot of info! I shall add them to the post giving exclusive rights to you! =D And yep, that definitely explains its purpose.

    It's funny I've learnt about moonstones and all kinds of Lankan art forms for O/L Art, but... thanks to my 'excellent' memory I have simply forgotten everything by now! -__- So thanks heaps for reminding and enlightening about these facts. =D

    @ Chavie: Really? Ya, the actual murals looked thousand times better than my pics. I wish this cam could capture scenes from any angle without losing quality.. =D

    Really? it's one of my favorites too. Yep, and I wonder if it's cuz there are no high rises or hills to cover the view. The panorama was truly enchanting. It should be defined as a must visit attraction in Lanka. ^__^

    Thanks a lot for your feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8/12/2009

    I love the 2nd picture the most Harumi...you could maybe make a career out of this...."creative writer / scenic photgrapher". Two wonderful combinations. You really are good at this...I can't seem to say it enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think we have the same 4 animals in the 4 corners of ancient dagabos. E.g. Ruwanweliseya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ MTC: Aww.. thanks so much! But I'm still totally new at this.. photography I mean. =D But ya, if I could get a job like that, it'd be more like a dream job! =D

    @ K: oops! I didn't notice those animals! O__O I only saw 4 small stupas around Ruwanweliseya.. and the Wahalkada too.. gotta check all my pics to see if I've caught them anywhere. =D Thanks a lot again!

    off topic, have you studied about these stuff to depth?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Studied about them as a hobby..I'm quite fascinated with archaeology. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's nice. Really? I got interested in the subject after seeing too many programs on pyramids. =D It sure is a fascinating subject.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep that's true. You're referring to the step pyramids right? And there was the Machu Picchu too.

    Um.. not sure if I read about them but I do remember watching documentaries on Discovery about these two and many more.. sometime back.

    I seriously miss Discovery now.. gotta save up some money and get it back. =D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...