02 July 2010

Where have all the elephants gone?

Hi everyone! How have you all been? I was down with a flu, the infamous 7day flu (as coined by my lil cousin sis), and am still recuperating. *cough* *sniffle*

So didn't get to catch up with my blog roll as often, let alone do a post. The weather's to be blamed cause the bright sunny days are long gone and we're having a freezing, chilly rainy season over here.


...

The Elephants

Remember that I mentioned on the very first post on our Somawathie trip, that we met some strange to wonderful critters of the wild, and well not so wild ones? Here's some of them, including the elusive elephants.

Our route took us past Habarana jungle and two nature reserves - Somawathie and Minneriya. So it was inevitable to see elephants, right? My uncles helped me out, time to time, by shouting 'elephants! I see elephants!' whenever they spot something like these...





Um.. they do appear like elephants from a distant don't they, but with skinny legs and even white tones? O__o Both these were taken while cutting through Somawathie Strict Nature Reserve while the 2nd pic shows a Willu (marshland).

We were dying of thirst by the time we passed Habarana jungle on our way back, and then saw a lil cafe by the roadside. The tea we had there was the best tea I've ever tasted in my life. They served black tea (pure Ceylon tea, what else?) with the sweetest cube of hakuru (jaggery). The cups were preheated so it was blistering hot up to the handle. But the tea inside wasn't so hot and tasted heavenly. We tried coaxing the lady who made this tea to tell us which brand it was, but she only giggled and said it was nothing special. Grrrrrr...


While we were there.. a couple of safari jeeps zoomed past us. They suddenly stopped and made a huge ruckus, teasing each other right in the middle of the road! It was packed with a bunch of girls and guys, or should I say unruly brats? Then one jeep challenged the other and off they raced on their own virtual F1 track = the main road cutting through Habarana jungle! Yes, we're talking about a dense jungle packed with real wild animals. Were safaris supposed to be this noisy and rash? -__-

So as soon as we finished sipping our heavenly tea, we had yet another strange encounter. An elephant from Habarana? Well.. have a look...





Saw it? Well.. size wise.. it looks a lil too skinny and small in stature too for an elephant, isn't it? O__o Well this peacock, that I first thought was a wild one, was indeed a pet of a villager here. The folks here said it wasn't afraid of humans but I guess I was a lil afraid to get too near. So this was all I caught. CTRL + click to see it better.

Talking about Habarana.. this is what it looks like. *as seen while on the move*






So as the topic says.. where have all the elephants gone? I mean we passed 2 nature reserves and 1 thick jungle twice and it was high time we saw at least a silhouette of an elephant right?

We almost gave up hopes until we came up to Minneriya nature park. Up ahead a tourist bus was parked, almost hogging the road. So we couldn't overtake as the road was a bit narrow. The tourists were out and pointing towards the jungle. Minneriya nature park too is famous for its wildlife and especially for birdies both native and exotic.

Can you guess what they were looking at? Another birdie?




See anything unusual in the pic? Well look around that thick fringe of trees, towards the middle of the pic.



Well there's not one, but two of them. The first noticed our presence and then whispered something to the second. Then they turned around and gave us a good stare, or more like glare, as if to say

"Yo humans, no trespassing.. pretty please. This is OUR home man! got that? now beat it! shoo!! shoo!!!"

Finally after confirming we won't make a move, they both turned back and disappeared into the jungle. Talk about keeping law and order.. in the jungle. *phew*


Couldn't see anything yet? Well then.. CTRL + click the pic below. See the red oval? The two pachyderm cops-on-patrol were spotted right within that area. Tiny they may seem cause of the great distance but these guys are the biggest dwellers on earth. And you forgot that, didn't ya? =P

Guess we were lucky to see them freely roaming in their own home grounds. Not in Habarana, but in Minneriya.



That's all for today folks. Thanks for joining this lil safari. ^__^

17 comments:

  1. Nice pictures Harumi! :D

    Unruly guests at Nature reserves are a serious problem. I think the authorities need to be strict about people like that, to make sure they don't cause harm to each other or the environment.

    I love the whole forested area between Minneriya and Habarana. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a high chance of seeing wild jumbos at Minneriya. I think you proved it here.

    Here is my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that your effort see jumbos paid off at last,the cattle are a disturbing site. Domestic/farm animals do not belong in the wild.



    Wild Sri Lanka

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looked like a good trip even before you got to see the elephants. The elephants must have made it even more satisfying though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The world cup match between Brazil and Holland has interrupted me from seeing your elephants.

    I only saw your elephants after midnight, they are blur in my sleepy eyes.

    You have a great adventure. I have my disappointed Brazil's game.

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments Chavie, K, Amila, Ratty and Rain! ^__^

    @ Chavie: Thanks again.

    That's true. It's a pity why they even want to go on a safari when they don't love or respect nature.

    Yep, me too. ^__^ Jungles are so mysterious.

    @ K: Ya, and I used to think only Habarana was famous for elephant sightings.

    Thanks for the link. It's rare to see so many wild elephants in one spot. Lucky you. =D

    @ Amila: Yep, it sure did. =D

    oh is it? Well as for me.. it was rather a surprising and refreshing sight. But I'm sure these buffaloes aren't totally wild, cause we saw acres of paddy fields stretching between the jungles and nature parks.

    @ Ratty: It was indeed a great and fun trip. ^__^ Ya, we were on the look out for them since the beginning of the journey so it was a big relief seeing them before the end of the journey. =D

    @ Rain: Oh here we have a big soccer fan! =D

    hehe.. that's alright. well.. soccer is a tough sport that requires skills as much as luck on your side. I hope the Brazilians weren't knocked out for good. They used to be my favorites in the good old days.

    hehe.. you always getta enjoy way better adventures than me. I sure envy Cerok Tokun's nature trails. =D

    You too have a great weekend! ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  7. coo! Love habarana! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Harumi,

    1st of all Hope you will be 100% pretty soon :D

    Nice set of pics. I like the 2nd pic the most. It looks like a great place to be.

    In Habarana it’s a familiar sight to see few elephants near the electric fence. Wonder where were they when you visit the place :D. I got few shots here have a look =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Dee: Thanks. That's nice to hear. ^__^

    @ Anjana: O__O

    Do I take it as a typo or do I sense sarcasm there?! lol Anyway thanks, if you were referring about my health. I'll try to beat the weather and get better soon. =D

    Thanks again. Oh ya, willu in the dry zone are like lil oases.

    Elephants, I'm sure they got bored and went to visit their cousins at the Minneriya nature park. =D And wow.. those are some classic snaps you've got there. It's rare to catch a close up of a wild elephant, quite risky too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7/04/2010

    Thank you for the post and pics. I love the area and we actually got much closer to the elephants in Minneriya when we last visited. The roads seem to be much better now as all I remember is a line of pot holes! :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're welcome. ^__^

    Really? That's greatta hear. Oh ya, A9's carpeted well. But not the off routes that took us to Medirigiriya and Somawathie.

    Ya, potholes used to be a symbol of Lankan roads, we've got them in plenty in our neighborhood too. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh no sarcasm whatsoever! I was simply referring to your health..OK …. =D

    ReplyDelete
  13. hehe.. I know, I know. No worries. =D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you had loads of fun! :) but have to admit the first pics just look like cows to me! :S

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh hiya Doc! Long time no see. ^__^ Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    And yep, it sure was fun but it was also the most tiring trip we've ever had. =D

    Oh ya I too thought they might be cows but we just zoomed past them so I couldn't verify. lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. hahaha your little safari?? wow sound pretty nice to me :) anyway how's your flu now? speedy recovery :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yep, surprisingly our pilgrimage turned into an adventure packed safari en route. =D

    Thanks a lot Fufu. I'm feeling a lot better now. ^__^

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...