27 May 2010

Happy Wesak!

Hope you all are enjoying the festive mood. Yep, for Lankans it's time for Wesak! And not just us.. most Buddhist countries, especially ones following Theravada Buddhism, are celebrating the Wesak Festival.

Wesak is the most important day *for us Buddhists* that celebrates three most significant events of Lord Buddha - the birth, enlightenment and passing away (Parinibbana).

I've added a 'Wesak Special' page (check on the green tab above) for bits of trivia on Wesak Festival and how we celebrate it the Lankan way.

...

So did anyone go see Wesak decor? Made any lanterns? Ate from a Dan Sel? =D

After 2 days worth toiling I managed to finish decorating one small Wesak kuudu (lantern) and now it hangs in front of the house nicely. *I'll post some pics of it later*

I'm also planning to tour Kandy to capture the Wesak vibes during the coming days. Also wondering if I could ever feast at a Dan Sel again, as it's been ages since I last ate from one. Mom's so particular about hygiene.. though me and dad think it's the taste that matters the most. lol

...

So for all the Buddhists out there..

Wish you a Very Happy Wesak!

10 comments:

  1. Wish you the same! We had plenty of ice cream dan sel, where we live..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooow.. that's cool. =D

    I guess ice cream too can be counted as a traditional food of Lanka.. =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Happy and Peaceful Wesak to you too Harumi! :D

    We hung lights and lit oil lamps... Haven't made a lantern in ages! :(

    Hope to see some good pics from your Wesak tour of Kandy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to work during this Wesak Festival, though it is a public holiday.

    There are celebration in many places over here, we even have a parade in the night time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Preethi Wesak to everyone!

    Hope to see the snaps soon. That’s the only way I can celebrate the Wesak for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Chavie: Thanks. ^__^

    oh.. that's nice. Too bad.. Wesak kuudu is a must for Wesak. =D

    Ya.. I too can't waitta see Wesak in Kandy.. saw some clips on TV, but that's not enough. =D

    @ Rain: Wow.. even Malaysia's celebrating Wesak?

    Too bad you had to work. Why not demand for an extra holiday from your boss. =D

    Really? That's nice. ^__^

    @ Anjana: Thanks.

    Sure. Will post them all in one go, after we tour Kandy. =D

    oh ya, there's restrictions about religious festivals out there, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah happy wesak day... how's it celebrated in sri lanka? should show us more pictures here, i wanna see the lanterns :) well we have parade in malaysia... and it's public holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Fufu. ^__^ That's nice. I think Wesak Day became an international public holiday (though not for all countries) since just few year back.

    I've posted about Lankan Wesak celebration on my 'Wesak Special' Page. Click here to read.. if you have free time. I'm sure you must be busy planning for your Latin American trip. ^__^

    And sure, I'll add the pics today, of my own Wesak decor. ^__^ About Wesak in Kandy.. still not sure if we might get to go or not. -__-

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wesak Day is unfamiliar to me because I live in the US, but I hope yours is a happy one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ya, that's true. Thanks a lot Ratty. It was indeed a happy one. ^__^

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...