06 June 2010

In the making of Atapattam - Part 2

If you missed Part 1 click here.

...

So last time I wrapped the story when it came to the side frills right? Technique wise there's no difference in making these frills but the only difference comes in how you paste them. The frills at the bottom wraps around the frame while the side frills stick to the joints of the squares (on each 4 sides).. as you see below..


Well.. this one shows some odd colors cause this pic was taken at night, with a candle lit inside.


Want to know how I fixed the candle? Well the package (easy-to-fix lantern frame) I bought off the shop didn't have a plastic strip to hold the candle, so I had to come up with a solution.

I took one of my old plastic rulers and taped it to the bottom frame using PVC tape (adhesive ones). And then tried fixing a candle on it but.. the candle won't remain steady. Then I looked for an old oil paper bucket, cut off a strip from its cardboard bottom which had a candle holder.

Placed a candle on the holder and taped the candle to the cardboard strip. Next took this lil gizmo and placed it on the ruler (that was now fixed to the bottom of the frame). It was really tough to tape the candle holder and the cardboard strip to the ruler without breaking the fragile tissue paper decor wrapping the lantern.

It didn't come out that neat but at least the candle was really steady and didn't even budge. And the result.. is as you see below..


It was really tough adding this candle stand to the lantern so I left it out for the 2nd lantern. =D


Oh and talking about colors.. I think I made a wee mistake last time about colors. Actually I didn't realize it until I saw these photos again.. and it turned out that for the 1st atapattama I used not just one color but 3 colors to wrap it up!


Let me sum it up again.

Atapattama # 1
Covered with: white and yellow squares, orange triangles
Paper cuts: red
Frills (bottom): indigo and pink
Frills (sides): indigo and pink
Frame borders: yellow

The frame border decor is actually necessary to cover up the messy overlapping of pasted tissue paper on the edges. With paappa (the home made glue) you can never get any neat edges. What's more the lanterns they show on TV always had really cool decor to cover these borders (a frilly decor) but I didn't know how to make it either. So I used yellow strips of paper (to compensate with red, white and orange combo) and made tiny slits on both sides keeping small gaps between. And simply pasted them along the borders.. like this..


Even though the borders look neat with those centipede-like-decor, I couldn't get the paper cut neat here. You can see blots of paappa (pinkish blots) on the red paper cut right? =D  Working with paappa is never an easy task.


It took me 1.5 days to complete the 1st atapattama. And this is how it looked when hanged along with other decor.




Since I was tired to the max I thought of postponing the decoration of 2nd frame for Poson! (you know it's another special festival that comes in June) Well.. mom felt sorry for the empty frame (the 2nd frame) that was sitting around with no decor and so she insisted that I should decorate it as well.

But.. there was hardly enough time.. as it was Wesak already! Still I thought of working on it the next day. And guess what happened? While I was half way through with the 2nd frame decorations, my uncle (mom's youngest brother), his wife and eldest daughter visited us. They stared at me, then at the half done frame, again at me and back at the frame and fired the question... almost chorusing..

"Are you going to hang it up for Poson?!!! O__O *which means in June, since Wesak comes in May!*

Well.. there went my pride blown to smithereens with a flashy kaboom!.. I was so embarrassed but couldn't stop laughing at the same time. hehe.. Geez.. my folks.. don't they ever know how to appreciate someone's earnest efforts. Oh well.. but they did commend me for the neat paper cuts (those perforated ones)..  but that was like after 5- 10 minutes of teasing! lol

*ahem* So coming back to the 2nd frame.. the process was exactly the same as the 1st atapattama.. but thanks to the previous experience it didn't take me that long to finish the 2nd one. The 1st and the 2nd lanterns had a few differences though. With the colors I used, the paper cut designs, and the frame border decor.

So if I sum it up..

Atapattama #2
Covered with: white squares and triangles (made of oil paper instead of tissue paper)
Paper cuts: dark green and indigo in perforated style
Frills (bottom): pale yellow and white
Frills (sides): red and orange
Frame borders: red (the frilly style!)

*if you check the color combo here, it is totally wacky and not only two-toned but multi-toned..! But when it was completed it didn't look that weird, least to me* =D

And yep, finally I mastered *to some extent* the frilly style for the frame borders. Well that was a lucky chance, cause they showed a program on TV that covered a Wesak lantern contest. And I caught a glimpse of one of the contestants working on the very decoration of the frame borders! Yep, that cool frilly style. All he did was slide a long strip of paper along the frame border, and made frilly waves.. just like that.

My first two attempts made a mess and then I realized I was doing it wrong. Instead of applying paappa on the strip of paper I realized I should apply it on the frame border. And tada..! it was so easy to make those frilly designs just as seen on TV! =D

So.. finally I was able to hang the 2nd lantern beside the 1st one. And now my story comes to an end. *phew*

Don't worry I won't wrap it up without showing the final result. =D

So here you go.. my own Wesak decor!



See the lantern on the right with fading pink frills? The glaring sun seems to have bleached the color in a matter of 2 days!



Add a bit of strong wind and you get this!





By the way those paper chains you see are the festoon chains (made of multicolored tissue papers) I was talking about last time. They are the easiest to make. The paper buckets and paper flags and small frills were from last Wesak, so it saved me the trouble of doing more decor.

Call me stingy and lazy if you want.. =P but.. I was dead tired after decorating 2 lanterns and the chains so I was left with no energy to do anymore decor. =D

Come to think of it, I seriously can't imagine how they make those humongous lanterns (more than 10ft high) with dozens of offspring lanterns, using the toughest kinds of materials. I truly admire their commitment and patience. ^__^

Too bad I missed those lantern contests in Kandy last time but my endeavor in capturing the cream of Lankan artistry will never end.. just from that. As for proof, you'll see a couple of pics (in thumbnail) already in the 'Random Picks' column (on the right panel). You'll get to see them in their original size in my future posts. ^__^

13 comments:

  1. Are you going to keep the lanterns till poson. I think you should.

    Colombo wesak celebrations were quite good this year. Hope it was the same in Kandy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall not make a lantern myself after reading your post.

    But the actual making maybe eaisier than what I have read. You may not be the standard.

    Hahaha.........oooOOOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ K: Nope, we took them off just couple of days after Wesak. Cuz dad said it's best that way so it won't be weather beaten. Will put them up for Poson again.

    Oh ya, saw the Wesak Zones of Colombo and Kandy on TV. We missed the Wesak tour this time though.

    @ Rain: hehe.. you're funny as always. =D

    Have you made a lantern before then? Would love to see a pic. ^__^

    Ya right! I exaggerated it so much just so no one can catch up to me! =P hehe.. I seriously had a hard time trying to explain everything. I guess pictures do a better job than words. =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It’s not bad as you said before posting the pics. Your decors are perfect and with that color combo it gives more festival touch to it. Really nice work and job well done! =D

    I remember my days of making the wesak kudu’s. We used to make all the atapattam/lotus /star’s with bamboo. Ahh even the mummy atapattama and baby atapattam hanging around it. It was so much fun from cutting the bamboo tree and till us makes all the decors from it. Ohh I miss those days :( well maybe next year I can make them again … :D

    One more thing! To get less messy with the pappa make it with hot water. Then it will not stick in to your hands than the places you want it to be =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the first lantern was beautiful, till I saw the second, and that was even prettier! You really are being modest Harumi, these are some really good lanterns you've made here! :D

    Like K said, hang them for Poson too, but I'd suggest that you take them inside to prevent further discolouration... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh nice colours!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Anjana: Thanks. Did I really say they look bad before? =D But that color combo is odd, no matter how you look at it. hehe

    Wow.. that's really great. Making bamboo frames is no easy task, especially for the lotus and the star shapes. Ya, you should try again and post some pics too.

    Really? I didn't know that. Thanks again. It will come in handy for Poson in case if my mom suddenly request me to do more decor. =D

    @ Chavie: Thanks. ^__^ But these are quite ordinary when compared with the one we had across the paddy field. lol

    Yep, that's what dad said too. We're keeping them inside until Poson.

    @ Dee:Thanks. Glad you liked my odd color combo. =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6/08/2010

    Pretty! and I never knew it was this hard! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Magerata welcome to my blog! ^__^

    Thanks for your feedback. hehe.. I bet it's much easier than this sounds, I'm just not good at simplifying things. =D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your wesak lanterns look very pretty Harumi! Just like I predicted...and your post made me feel nostalgic, being sooo far away from SL, especially your reference to the oil paper bucket with a candle holder inside. I remember hanging those at home during wesak....that was such a long time ago that they were nearly wiped from my memory until I read this. Thanks for sharing your amazing efforts....well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hehe.. thanks Spring. ^__^

    Aww.. really? That's nice. Oh ya.. you don't get Wesak out there ne. Yep, oil paper buckets used to be so popular those days but now I hardly see them, instead we get more Chinese buckets and lanterns nowadays. =D

    You're welcome sis and thanks again. ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are very beautiful. I like all of the colors. And you must be satisfied after all of that work. It was a good accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks a lot Ratty. ^__^ Really? Glad you liked them.

    Ya, 2.5 days of toiling paid off. =D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...