20 September 2009

The sea of rock ~ Tantirimale

Tantirimale is a place I remember since my schooling days. Nope, never been there before the trip we had on 1st of August 2009. It's just that there was this documentary show about it on TV those days, with a very beautiful theme song. Cause my mom was so fond of it, she asked me and sis to note it down. It was played a few times on TV and I used to remember it by heart too.. for a long time.

Sadly now I can recall just a few words of this song along with the tune.. and have no memory of the scenery I saw on TV. So until I set foot in Tantirimale, I didn't know what the place would be like. Though.. I have already heard about it dozens of times from mom. Still.. it was a completely different world I stepped into.. when we finally got there.

If I briefly put it.. it was a sea of rock.. wrapped in a green coat!

You can read about the Tantirimale temple here. *sorry that I've been posting about nothing but temples since lately but can't help it, since I collected all these pics from our last pilgrimage* ^__^

Today I will only add captions.. cause pictures speak a zillion words. Also the pics will be in medium size this time for your convenience. If you wish to see their original size, simply control + click on the images.

Off we go on a virtual tour in Tantirimale!
....

The shrine.. near the entrance



Stupa.. in the distance



Stupa.. hidden behind a boulder



Rocky outcrop.. sprawling towards the horizon



Bell tower.. touching the heavens



Bodhi leaves.. fluttering in the winds



Golden railing.. festooned with flags



Sitting Buddha statue... giving life to the rockyscape



Reclining Buddha statue.. redefining the skyline



Stupa.. against the cloudy sky



Pilgrims climbing.. one step at a time


...

I've posted some of the other pics of Tantirimale in my previous posts. So now I've officially covered the whole trip that we had on 1st of August. *and it took me over 1.5 months to simply finish posting this bunch of pics!* =D

9 comments:

  1. You have a great collection of pictures!

    No 9 n 10 are the best for me! Would come very nicely for a Wesak card!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9/21/2009

    Cute story Harumi ! :) ...thanks for sharing... and all these pictures remind me of a school trip we were taken on soon after completing our o/l's AGES ago :)...we went to loads of historical locations situated around Kandy... can't remember the names now :( ...but it was FUN... i have the pictures but they were taken with an OLD crappy camera I owned back then and the pics are in my old room back home so no luck in sharing with you... eitherway, from what I remember and thanks to your really great pics... i can still remember such a strange yet exciting ambiance surrounding these places. I remember feeling the presence of the people who once inhabited those locations. (Although not all the staute's in your pictures are ancient one's right ?)...My favorite is pic 3, I have a thing for pictures taken with brown hues...I just find they look so artistic ! Well Done !

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, you are really good at writing amazing captions Harumi! :D and don't worry too much about taking that much time, I've found that keeping some gaps between posts is the best way to let more people enjoy the content more... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Bodhi leaves, it bears some special meaning to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ K: Thanks. Really? That sounds like a great idea.. I should hunt for potential buyers then. =D

    @ MTC: That's great.. and I don't mind seeing those old pics.. when you collect them again. ^__^

    Oh ya.. historical places give off a distinct vibe. The 1st pic of course have new ones I think but the stone statues are said to be from late Anuradhapura era, i.e. according to the book we bought from Tantirimale. Also Tantirimale's stone statues are sort of similar to Polonnaruwa Gal Vihare stone statues.. though the ones in Tantirimale are not located side by side. And another difference is there was no standing Buddha statues carved off the stone.

    And yep, 3rd pic is one of my favorites too, which was taken with a tweaked white balance. That's why the sky looks purple! =D Thanks.

    @ Chavie: Aww.. thanks. But I'm sure they're just normal captions. =D Oh ya, that's true. Even I noticed that sometime back.

    @ Rain: Really? That's nice. Do you have Bodhi trees out there too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Harumi... your pictures are breathtaking! I really love the photo with the purple skyline.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Palidor welcome to my photo blog! Thanks a lot. Really? The sky wasn't actually purple but when I tweaked the white balance it became kinda purple. =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too posted about this enchanting place Thanthirimale a few days ago.. It was a short one as you have done some wonderful posts before :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow really? Thanks for the link. Will surely check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...